Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Small Lessons

Good Evening Friends and Neighbors.  I want to apologize for slacking off in bringing the good word to the Brethren.  The New Year has started off with a vengeance, keeping the Rev on his toes.

I have learned several small but illustrative financial lessons in the past few days.  Now, when the durn human comedy throws the Rev a lesson, whether at his own expense or not, I try to have a good look at the subtlety, the ins and outs and what-have-you, on the off chance that I might retain a bit of the lesson. Maybe I will make a few less mistakes the next time around.  If nothing else, I like to make new and different mistakes, so that I can experience new and different lessons.  

Sisters and Brothers, the Reverend Squeaky-Eye is not one given over to New Year's resolutions.  As a matter of fact, there is no denying that I am dead set against the things.  The way I see it, we all do about exactly what we are going to do anyway. Resolving to change something in the New Year, that we could have been changing in the old year, is a lot like swimming in denial.

Still, as the New Year became a reality, there was no denying that the Rev's closet was full of clothing that was, well, becoming a bit of a cliche'.  The post-punk hiker chic that was the predominant fashion statement needed a bit of a revamping.  Setting out to freshen the wardrobe, I decided that a new suit was in order.  I had been avoiding buying a new suit both from a common-sense standpoint, and also from a loathing of the upward trend in lapels.  Nonetheless, a new suit of clothes seemed like just the thing to add some snap to the Rev's step and shake off some of the drabness of a wardrobe almost entirely composed of black.

And where does a shopper in the know go for some natty, almost new ensembles?  Well, in the Rev's case, it is the local Goodwill.  Other folks would tell you Value Village, or the local consignment emporium, and they would also be steering the Brethren right.  Whether its the local charity thrift store, the Goodwill, or the upscale consignment shop, each of these fine establishments is going to have some solid fashion choices at a fraction of the cost of the stores down at the mall.  And a Reverend who spends his money wisely has more money left over for that rainy day of life's financial lessons.  

Folks, excuse me if I sound like I am tooting my own bugle here, but after some careful shopping, I laid my hands on a lovely gray woolen suit, handcrafted in Hong Kong by one of our tailor Brethren.  I was out the door of the Goodwill for twenty-eight dollars flat, which included rounding up the purchase price to help out with job creation efforts.  A quick trip to the local cleaners, and for the price of a few buttons sown back and a spic-and-span, the Rev is cutting a much sharper figure and still sporting some folding money with which to grace the new pockets.  Hallelujah!!  Good Brothers and Sisters, how we spend our money determines, in great measure, whether we have any money left to spend, share, or save.  Keep that capital, Brethren!  We earned it, not the Down-Pressor!  How we spend our money matters, both for ourselves and out community.  

My second lesson of the week was not so cheery, but some of our Brethren may benefit so I will share my own foolishness.  Some time ago, I was taking a few college classes in an effort to keep the old brain pan working.  As a necessity for college work, I had to purchase two text books.  Now Brethren, text books can be costly items as anyone who is in school, or supporting a student, knows.  I thought I was being as thrifty as possible in purchasing used textbooks online.  While the Rev did save money over the price of a new text book, I have to admit to not doing my financial homework and to paying the price for it.  Today, I ventured to sell my textbooks back to the place that I purchased them from to recoup some of the costs.  When I did so, I found the books were worth virtually nothing, even though I had paid substantially more than nothing for them.  This time, I did my research and found out why:  eBay.  

Brethren, now that I know, I am here to tell you that as long as you have the correct ISBN number for your required text book, you can find that book on eBay and save yourself a bundle of money, folding or otherwise.  Do not make the mistake I made, wasting my hard earned capital when I could have shopped more wisely.  

So Sisters and Brothers, win some, lose some, but each of the lessons are grist for the mill as we try to Fight the Power.  Whether is large and sweeping or small and tight, remember to Strike a Blow today.  


No comments:

Post a Comment