Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Reverend Squeaky-Eye is humbled and offers a Call to Action

"If 20% pay down 20% we strike a blow"

Hello Friends and Neighbors!  Let me start right out with an acknowledgement and shout-out to our Sisters and Brothers who are taking the struggle to the streets of our cities and towns.  These courageous citizens are marching, and occupying, in an effort to shine a light on the corporate stranglehold our people are suffering under.  The Reverend Squeaky-Eye salutes, supports, and applauds them.  

I am humbled and awed that in the less than twenty-four hours since the Rev's first blog post, I have received outstanding comments and feedback.  

Yesterday the Reverend said "protests are not enough to bring down the greedy".  The Reverend will say that again, and add that action is required.  Here is some of the feedback that was generated by that statement:

" I do want to say though, that occupy HAS made a great statement with their protests. We must be visible..because we live in corporate media-hood. .....The protesters have matched their words with their actions. The Move your money campaign (many are and have), camp-outs at foreclosed homes/fighting with those taking on the banks and their corrupt and capricious policies in the courts. They are taking on Citizens United by supporting Move to Amend, getting rid of corporate person-hood."

Let the Reverend Squeaky-Eye be the first to rise up and shout "Amen Sister!!".  The Reverend is completely supportive of the Occupy Movement.  I applaud the actions that the Move Your Money campaign has taken, and encourage people to continue those actions.  I am also completely supportive of all of the efforts by our Sisters and Brothers to demand that the US Supreme Court rescind the establishment of "corporate person-hood". 

A righteous Brother, with deep life experience in the business world, wrote to me to say the following: 

Hey Reverend Squeaky-Eye!  "There were 114,825,428 households in the U.S as of 2010.  I believe the average household consumer debt is just at $15,000.  Not sure if that 
includes car debt.  But, if not, that number would be higher. 

Just for demo, that would be $112,239,100,000.00 in consumer debt. 20% would = $34,447,620,000.00 in payoffs.  Or, about $3,000 per household.  Based on recent job shrinkage numbers, low levels of savings in the U.S., REAL unemployment, I'd suspect implementation of a reduction in debt to be in the hands of the lenders.  Not in those of the borrowers."

The statistics that our Brother is referring to are listed on the US Census website which you can access with this link.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/banking_finance_insurance/payment_systems_consumer_credit_mortgage_debt.html

Now is the time for the Reverend Squeaky-Eye to respond to our Brother's comments, and at the same time lay down for you one of the most important action points in the Squeaky-Eye agenda.  For far too long, control of consumer debt has, indeed, been in the hands of the lenders, not the borrowers.   We are a nation, a world, of borrowers.  We, as a people, have given this power to the lenders, those that control the capital.  As we have given this power away, we can take this power back.

The Rev's first call to action is simple.  I am asking all of the Brothers and Sisters out there to take a cold, hard look at the credit card and consumer debt that they have.  Do you see it?  Now, the call to action is for 20% of households with consumer debt to pay off 20% of that consumer debt over the course of the next year.  

I know that this is no small thing.  It will require serious effort and, yes, it will require doing without some of the acquisition behavior that we have fallen into the habit of.  Consuming, and the culture of "Stuff" is rampant in our society. Consumption of "stuff" is encouraged, daily, in the form of a steady bombardment of advertising that rains down upon us.   

Some of our people have already asked some hard questions:

"Reverend, I am unemployed and things are not looking good.  How can I pay down my debt when I have no job?"  

The Rev understands that not everyone or every family can pay down their debt in the midst of this current financial morass we find ourselves in.  We are urging the individuals and families who can begin to pay down their debt to do so.  We are also encouraging those who can support our unemployed and suffering Brothers and Sisters to do so.  

"Hey Squeaky-Eye!  What good will it do to pay down my debt?"

Why would I urge the Brethren to reduce their consumer debt?  There are a number of valid reasons.  First, a population indebted is a population enslaved.  Paying down our debt makes us less beholden to the banks, and sends a message to the banks that we are willing to tighten our belts to enact financial change.  Secondly, paying down our debt actually puts more money into our pockets in the form of reduced interest payments to service consumer debt. Finally, lessening our consumer debt is a form or personal empowerment, which puts financial control back into our own hands. 

"Reverend, how can I tell my kids they need to do without new clothes or new toys?"

The Rev knows that this is hard task and that it is asking a great deal to even try to pay down consumer debt while at the same time meeting the needs of our families.  I would urge each of us to take some simple steps to reduce our spending.  First, work out a real, on-paper, budget.  There are many great templates available online for doing this.  I do a budget every month and I can tell you, at first, I was shocked.  I had no idea where my money was going.  The Rev believes that to direct the flow of your own money, you have to know where the money is going in the first place.  Building a realistic monthly budget and then sticking to it is one of the most useful financial tools that all of us can take advantage of.  

Our communities and our friends, family and neighbors are a fantastic resource for setting up networks and exchanges and barter systems.  Many neighborhoods have set up tool rental programs.  Several households sharing one lawnmower, for example saves everyone money and its a great way to get to know your neighbors and strengthen your community ties.


Another great community idea is to start or participate in a neighborhood toy exchange or toy library.  There are lots of different examples around this great world of ours.  Here is an example of a fantastic idea in England:


"Reverend, I can't pay 20% of my consumer debt.  What should I do?"

I know that this is hard.  What we are talking about here is a difficult thing indeed.  I can share with you that the Rev has been there, suffering under a burden of debt that seemed insurmountable.  There was a time when the Reverend owed over $30,000 in consumer debt.  One of the reasons that I am so adamant about this call to action is that I know what it is like to be borrowing here to pay there, juggling accounts, praying for some kind of miracle just to make ends come even close for that week or that month.  I understand the debilitating struggle to just pay the interest on a mountain of debt that never gets any smaller.  I have the deepest compassion for all of the Sisters and Brothers out there who are struggling with this very situation.  

Here is what I suggest, what I urge you to try.  Look closely at where your money is going each month.  Take a cold, hard, honest look at what your money is being spent on.  Try to identify the things or areas where you could spend a little less and use that money to pay down some of that burden of debt.  Our 20% figure is a target my Brethren!  Some of us can only pay down 10% or 5% while others can pay down more. 

The goal is to work towards personal financial empowerment and to send a message to the Down-Pressor Man.  I have faith in you, my Sisters and Brothers!  I have faith and I have hope that we can do these difficult things that must be done!





3 comments:

  1. Hey Rev, I see personal debt reduction as one aspect of personal financial freedom. Another is reducing consumption. Will you enlighten us with your thoughts about this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reverend Squeaky Eye-
    At an Occupy Town Hall event, that I attended this past Saturday night, I received a info flyer. As I read it, my eyes grew as wide and open as they ever have been! This is the idea, which I think you would be in favor of and proselytize. It is a coalition to create a Public Bank in Washington State. A Public Bank would put state revenue to work creating jobs on Main Street, instead of creating windfall bank bonuses on Wall Street.
    Visit the website: wapublicbankcoalition.org.
    Sign the petition and sign up for the FREE monthly newsletter.
    Now, this is some concrete action!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Teacher Lauren:

    Thanks for the great comment and link. The Rev is going to research this further before opening his big yapper.

    Great stuff!! Keep the Faith!!

    ReplyDelete