Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lightened

Hello Friends and Neighbors.  The Reverend is forced to admit to nursing a heavy heart.  The process of re-integrating into the First World is proving more daunting than previous experiences.  Life goes on, however, and whether I wish it or not, so do I.

Sisters and Brothers, we have had discussions on the nature of stuff.  I find myself, once again, dealing with the lure and bondage of possessions, and woe it is.  As Hamlet cleverly opines, 
"For 'tis the sport to have the engineer
 Hoist with his own petard, an shall go hard..."

Once back in the First World, amongst my cargo, I am confronted by the futility of my utility in amassing.  While the moves of the last year have seen my goods sorted and boxed, and some junk returned to the gyre of worthless circulation, there is still simply too much stuff.  Forgive me Saint George, for I have sinned.  

In truth, I have parted with the easy things, trinkets and bits in boxes and bins that were unknown or forgotten, until disturbed by the need to tote them.  This box of moto pieces, and that bin of tarnished treasures, once discovered, were dealt with.  Trifles that caused not a backward glance, Brethren.  It was shallow work.

No more.  The Rev, more than anyone, has to walk the talk.  Here in the Fortress, I have even more room in which to store acquired goods, so I must be even more vigilant against the temptation of The Stuff.  So I am selling the Ducati.  Not the work-a-day modern moto, but the real treasure, the 1977 900 SS.  Its true, and the deal is done.  Regardless of our mutual past glories, it has become a treasure that I do not cherish. It is time to pass the treasure on to someone else who will.  This parting is not without price, and as such has a more solid value than another dusty box of forgotten kit.  

I am not advocating that all of our Brethren run out and divest themselves of all of their swag.  The goods that bring us joy, that make out lives sweeter, these things are, indeed treasures.  We can, and should, revel in them.  When the time comes to lighten the load, I only wish for the wisdom to see it, and take action with a lightened heart and no sense of regret.  

I cannot hope to free myself from all of the chains of desire, the pull of the Stuff.  But I do want to strive, Brothers and Sisters, to be able to recognize the chains for what they are.  When I see the things as they really are, it makes it that much easier to spit in the Down-Pressor's eye, when snake-oil he does try to sell. 

Be strong Brethren, Be real, and Strike a Blow !! 

2 comments:

  1. I imagine it could be difficult to "re-enter" esp. when you've identified with your East Asian Brethren. What you've shared with the individuals you met on your journey you share with folks here. Rev. SE is passionate about his Brothers and Sisters. No matter how much stuff you get rid of that won't change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that highest of compliments, that the Rev is passionate about his Brothers and Sisters, OUR Brothers and Sisters. May it always be so and more as the remaining years pass.

    And the Reverend acknowledges that act of getting rid of "stuff" doesn't change a Sister or a Brother. The act of reduction means that the person has less cargo to tote around. Understanding the significance of the act, however, is critical. When one of the Brethren make a conscious choice to reduce the hold that The Stuff has on their life, it is that very choice that breaks another link in the chains that bind us to the Down-Pressor.

    The act of lessening the cargo is specifically beneficial.

    The choice to act in such a way is life changing.

    ReplyDelete